11 April, 2015

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 review

Genre: Sci-Fi, Science Fiction, Comedy.
Starring: Craig Robinson, Rob Corddry, Clark Duke, Adam Scott, Chevy Chase, Collette Wolfe, Gillian Jacobs.
Year Of Release: 2015
Certificate: 15 (UK)
Runtime: 93 Minutes
Director: Steve Pink
Synopsis: "When Lou finds himself in trouble, Nick and Jacob fire up the hot tub time machine in an attempt to get back to the past. But they inadvertently land in the future with Adam Jr. Now they have to alter the future in order to save the past - which is really the present." IMDB









I was very on the fence about Hot Tub Time Machine 2, I mean I partially enjoyed the first one, but that was mostly from the cast if anything. I loved the chemistry between Robinson, Duke, Robinson and Cusack, so when I learnt Cusack was not returning I was bitterly disappointed.On the other hand, Adam Scott was announced to be joining the cast, which kind of made up for it, he was brilliant recently in Parks And Recreation and A.C.O.D.

The first film when it released in 2010 and quickly became a guilty pleasure of many people, I for one wasn't 100% sold on it, I mean I had a few giggles throughout, just not enough for me to warrant some of the love I seen for it. So when a sequel was announced to say I was not very excited would be an understatement, which is a shame because the cast as a collective in either of the films is wonderful and are hilarious given the right material as Comedy actors they have all shone in previous shows/films they have been in.

Craig Robinson did not even seem to care about what he is doing (my view), he just seems completely lost throughout the film occasionally attempting to execute the poor lines given, the same can be said about Clark Duke, they both look bored of the entire think like they only turned up for filming for the pay cheque. For some reason the writer of the film decided to make Rob Corddry attempt to act even more insane than the previous instalment, which I find insulting to the comic and the audience. 

The film really has no script to follow, I'm being 100% serious when I say this you could nap for forty minutes and wake up and have not missed a single important scene. You end up sitting there the entire time waiting for the big "oh no" or "shit just got real" scene and it just never comes, they have the whole of time to play with in their story and never touch on it at all, such a wasted opportunity. The comedy was wasted throughout, most of the funnier parts comparatively that is, come in the credits says a lot about the story as a whole really.

Overall, the film fell completely flat on its ass in my opinion, it was 90 minutes of poorly executed slapstick, along with one liners that never really landed. For me a completely unwarranted sequel and not surprised to see it making such poor numbers at the box office ($12.3 million at time of writing 10th April), while the first one delivered a few jokes, worthy of a watch, however this time around not enough is given to sit through the film. If you're truly craving your fix of Craig Robinson or Clark Dude throw on some old The Office DVDs for Rob Corddry watch Children's Hospital, just avoid this film, especially if you are a fan of the first it will soil your enjoyment of the previous instalment. If you have the desire to watch this, I personally recommend waiting for Netflix, Red Box or one of the many streaming sites we have today, that way it will not feel like you have had money stolen from you.

Wish I could go back in time and NOT watch it!!!
2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment